[DogParkList] EchoMac

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:46:59 -0500

Hi Thomas,

On Jan 3, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Thomas Sundstrom wrote:

<snip>

> Item 2 - Publicity
> ----------------------
>
> N9YTY's EchoMac is a secret the ham radio world needs to know about:

As the person responsible for publicizing EchoMac I have to take issue
with that point !

Judging from the number of downloads and the support emails I get this
just isn't true.
It may be a secret amongst non-Mac Hams but it is quite well known and
heavily used by the Mac Ham community judging by the reviews on eHam
and the number of hits one gets when one "Googles's EchoMac.

EchoMac is linked to by just about every Echolink page in cyberspace:

First there is the actual EchoLink.org web site:

<http://www.echolink.org/faq_installation.htm>

Then the premier Mac Ham Radio web site:

<http://www.machamradio.com/HamsAndX.html>

Then the ARRL:

<http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2003/11/06/1/>
(in an article highlighting Steve's other much appreciated port of LOTW
to Mac)

Then these:

<http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3174>
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/26/echomac/index.php?
redirect=1073128131000>
<http://www.amsat.org/echolink/>
<http://www.amsat-dl.org/echolink.htm>
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/vk4zq/>
<http://w2xq.com/sjra/sjra_2003-12.html>
<http://cqinet.sourceforge.net/links.shtml>

You will forgive me if I don't list all 849 :)

The fact that you were able to find this discussion list and post to it
belies your description of EchoMac as "secret". Perhaps you are not
familiar with the Mac Ham Radio world in cyberspace ?

> I've been featuring it from time to time in the new Australian ham
> radio magazine ESR [ Electronics-Science-Radio :
> http://www.esr-mag.com/ ]  column "Baudwalking". ESR filled the void
> left by Radio and Communications which I had written for since 1995.
>
> I feature EchoMac on an introductory page to linking repeaters [
> http://trsc.com/ref_repeater_linking.html ] designed to help beginners
> get started at the ground floor. (In my opinion too many other pages
> on other Web sites assume prior knowledge.)
>
> VoIP and EchoMac is mentioned throughout our other Web site
> http://w2xq.com, crosslinked back to trsc.com pages.
>
> Feedback, suggestions for explanatory material, requests for help with
> the EchoMac software, literature, related Web pages, links -- that
> would be helpful to N9YTY and users of EchoMac, are welcome. We'll
> turn the input into output for all to benefit unless you indicate
> something is private or confidential (and we absolutely honor same in
> our writings going back to 1966).

You suggestions are welcome as are your offers to publicize EchoMac,
but as Steve mentioned what we really need are volunteers to develop
and support EchoMac.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark@mac.com