[DogParkList] Using MacLoggerDX in a contest

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen@mac.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 20:09:47 -0400

Dear Anthony,

First of all, congratulations on your 5 WPM! You've now got a
whole new world available to you. I'm also a new ham (passed
my tests late last summer) and have really enjoyed myself
with the hobby--especially contesting.

I originally had an Icom 746Pro (and my advice below will
come from experience gained from that radio) and I'm now
using a Yaesu FT-817 for portable operation (now that the
dreaded condo association discovered my "stealth" antenna...)
MacLoggerDX works fine with both radios, of course.

Here's what I recommend for contesting:

1. Get a good connection to the rig via RS232C.
    I'm sure you've done this but I'll mention it anyway. Make
    sure that the radio and the computer are talking nicely.
    If you forget to set this up you'll log a bunch of folks
    in MacLoggerDX and you'll not even know what band you used!
    [I've done this; yes, it is embarrassing...]

2. Use the QRZ ROM.
    One of the problems with turning in your log for a contest
    is determining your "claimed score". (Lots more on this below.)
    In short, if you don't have the state and country filled in
    properly you can't compute your multipliers and, therefore,
    you can't compute your claimed score. The data on the QRZ
    ROM provides consistent spelling for the states, countries,
    etc., which is crucial for score calculation.

3. Figure out how you're going to generate the Cabrillo log
    file _before_ the contest begins.
    As the old saying goes, the great thing about standards is
    everybody can have their own. Most of today's contests,
    especially those run by the ARRL and CQ Magazine require
    that logs be submitted electronically in the "Cabrillo"
    file format. The problem is, every contest actually
    demands a different (!) Cabrillo format. I began writing
    some software that would go through a MacLoggerDX log
    file and would generate the appropriate output. More
    on that below.

4. Figure out where you're going to put the exchange information.
    Contests almost always have some fixed exchange information
    such as RS(T), zone, year first licensed, serial number, etc.
    MacLoggerDX (sadly) does not have a field to capture this
    information. So, I've used either the RST sent/received fields
    or carefully put the exchange information in a particular
    format in the comment field. Of course, this relates to #3 above.

5. Should you use a separate log file for a contest?
    I haven't. I have about 1400 QSOs logged and performance on my
    G4 450MHz Cube is OK. But, if you have many more QSOs logged or
    if your machine is slower then maybe you should consider it. I
    think that so long as performance is OK that one log file for
    everything makes things easier than trying to juggle multiple files.

6. Use the "Previous" panel to check for repeats
    Assuming you don't have this OM in the log 8 times, a quick glance
    will let you know if you've worked them this contest. And, for
    contests that allow you to work the same callsign on multiple bands
    or even multiple modes, separate logs won't help anyway.

7. Read and review your entry before and after you push "Log QSO"
    Here I must admit I don't always follow my own advice and, on those
    occasions where I didn't proofread my work, I've regretted it (and =
it
    cost me a couple of points). Here's my thinking: it is better to =
make
    5 fewer contacts because you spent a bit of time proofreading than =
    make 5 more with a buggy log.

I began writing a Java program to take a date range in a log file and
produce the appropriate Cabrillo log file. It was a work in progress
(not done, half-baked) when I lost my main antenna and my project at
work really began to heat up. So, I asked Don if he would post what
I'd done so far to see if anybody wanted to pick it up and run with it.
Nobody has.

Well, I think I might pick it up again. It had worked for me on the
contests I had participated in: CQWW phone, ARRL Nov. sweeps, and
the ARRL 10m contest. I ran my "Cab" log processor against the log
for each contest and, except for changing the line ends from Mac/Unix
to DOS/Windows (so the stupid log processing programs would process
my upload correctly) it was all pretty painless.

But, again I must emphasize this, garbage in/garbage out. I was able
to write the program to compute the multipliers and claimed score=20
because
I would depend on the state and country information to be correct. If
you start typing in these values manually I can almost guarantee that
you won't be as consistent as the QRZ ROM and, therefore, my score
calculation stuff will come up with the wrong answer.

Anyway, here's some proof that you can contest with MacLoggerDX
and the Cab file processor:

You can see that my submissions were accepted in these places:
http://www.cqww.com/logs-received_ssb.htm
NE1RD               SINGLE-OP ALL LOW

And on the ARRL web site
Here's the results for the 10m contest:
# Call   Score QSOs Mult Class Power Section Hours
1 NE1RD 35,412 229   78      B     B     EMA    12

Here's the results for the November sweeps
# Call   Score QSOs Mult Class Section Check Hours   160   80   40   20=20=

   15   10
1 NE1RD 46,800  325  72     A    EMA    02      20        119   36   55=20=

   55   60

The software works--that is, the software works for the limited stuff
I've completed. I hope to do more with it this summer. Now that I know
somebody else might want to contest with MacLoggerDX I have a bit more
incentive!

ONE LAST THING: A NOTE ON DOING WEIRD THINGS TO THE COMMENT OR RST=20
FIELDS:=A0
Uploading to eQSL is pretty easy with MacLoggerDX. Just export the log=20=

as
an ADIF file and away you go. But, if you've done what I've suggested=20
and
used the fields for other things than what they are for your uploaded=20
logs
will look goofy. It is easier to fix the log _before_ upload rather than
after using eQSL's web site. (Yup, personal experience here, too.)

That's my advice. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might
have. Congratulations again on your upgrade. Hope to see you on Field=20
Day!

73

-- Scott (NE1RD)

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:53  PM, Anthony Rodgers wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have just passed my 5wpm and am now able to contest on my own =
(Yay!).

> I love MacLoggerDX and would appreciate any tips, best practices and=20=

> other guidelines as to the best way to set it up and use it for=20
> contesting.
>
> For example:
>
> =95 	How to manage the separate log files for each contest, while=20
> maintaining a combined log for awards like DXCC.
> =95 	How to handle checking for dupes (specific to mode and band) for=20=

> each QSO.
> =95 	What exact steps to take in MacLoggerDX for each QSO, to cover =
the=20
> above and complete the exchange in the most accurate and efficient > =
way.

> I will be able to use rig control with a FT-990, if that helps.
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
>
> 73 de VA7IRL,
> --
> Anthony Rodgers
> Email: VA7IRL@rac.ca
> Cell: 604-340-8295
> Numeric Pager: 1-800-331-6351
> Text Pager: arodgers@txt.bellmobility.ca
> MSN Messenger ID: arodgers@mac.com

B. Scott Andersen    | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen@mac.com   | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, Massachusetts | Amateur Radio =3D=3D> ne1rd