[DogParkList] iSpectrum Questions

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 21:59:21 -0400

Hi John,

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 11:36  AM, John Kubie wrote:

> I have a few questions about ispectrum (a great product)
>
> 1) Is there a manual? I can't find one. (Some of the following
> questions might be resolved with manual)

No, just the ReadMe, and the popup hints when you mouse over a control.

> 2) What's the difference between ispectrum .2 and ispectrum .3?

iSpectrum 0.3 just fixed a bug in 0.2, it is functionally identical.

> 3) How do you get "copy" to work best? For me, it works sporadically.
> I can "paste" a screen into preview or into keynote (Neat!), but I
> can't paste into Canvas 8.  It appears that a pdf is what is in the
> clipboard (if that's possible).  also, sometimes the paste seems to
> come up empty.

The copy operation is actually a PDF capture of the screen which is to
OS X what QuickDraw Picts were to OS 9.
Keynote and Preview can read PDFs from the ClipBoard, I guess Canvas
can't handle PDF's yet.

> 4) is there any way to pause the spectrum display before cut-and-paste
> operations?

Several people have asked for that one, so that will be in 0.4

> 5) It would be great to be able to edit components of the pasted
> output; this seems like it would be possible if the info in the
> clipboard is a set of objects and vectors.

By the time the capture is converted to PDF it is a bitmap.

> 6) I've had some troubles with ispectrum launching when I don't want
> it to.  There seems to be some problem with creator codes. If I
> remember correctly (this was a few weeks ago) it launched when I was
> trying to run some REALbasic applications I was trying to write.

The creator code will be fixed in version 0.4 (as soon as it is
approved by Apple).

> Very positive note:
>
> I bought ispectrum in order to make a demonstration about the auditory
> system for lectures that I give each year. I've been looking for this
> type of product for about 10 years. I gave my annual lecture yesterday
> and the demo went flawlessly (I had a violin player play open strings
> on the violin). Cut-and-paste was used to create a figure to go with
> the demonstration.  I didn't use the oscilloscope, but I plan to next
> year.  I'm also thinking of making a 5 or 10 minute video
> demonstration of the same thing. Lots of fun and, I think, lots of
> value.
>
> John Kubie

Thanks John ! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks for your input, we will announce 0.4 on the dogpark list when it
is ready.

Best Regards,
Don Agro

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com