[DogParkList] Cabrillo file format Converter

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:07:02 -0500

Thanks Scott for your work on this, and for making it available to
MacLoggerDX users,

I am passing this on to the list and also posting a link to the tar
file on the MacLoggerDX web page:

<http://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html>

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 10:15  AM, B. Scott Andersen wrote:

> As promised, here are the Java files that I
> worked up to process log files and create
> CABRILLO files. Hopefully, the Java classes
> that read a log file and create nice objects
> from its contents will be helpful even if
> nothing else is carried forward.
>
> I had used this system to submit logs for
> the CQWW contest and the ARRL 10 meter
> contest. The "trick" for all this is to
> choose a reasonable place to put the "exchange"
> information. For CQWW I just plowed the exchange
> information into the RST field. So, if it went
> like this:
>
> kz1o: QRZ?
> ne1rd: NE1RD!
> kz1o: ne1rd you are 5904
> ne1rd: thank you. You are 5905
>
> I would put the 5904 and 5905 values right in
> the RST fields and have the CAB reporter pick
> them out.
>
> The 10 meter contest was a bit easier since I
> could just depend on country and state to give
> me what I needed.
>
> All of this assumes some consistency in the data
> presented. I depended, for example, on the info
> from the QRZ CDROM.
>
> Finally, three more notes on CABRILLO formats:
> 1. the great thing about standards is everybody
>    gets to have their own.  :-(  Every contest is
>    a little different (although they claim everything
>    is CABRILLO format).
> 2. computing the claimed score is always the tedious
>    part. The formatting is mind numbing but easy to
>    check.
> 3. The dumb-as-a-post log processors run by ARRL and
>    CQ magazine want MSDOS-style CRLF line ends. I didn't
>    get a chance to update the program to accomodate for
>    that. Try to post a "regular" UNIX file with UNIX
>    line ends and the log processor becomes very, very
>    confused.

Note: BBEdit will convert between DOS, Unix and Mac EOL conventions for
you.

> I'm very sorry I couldn't finish this. But, hopefully,
> you'll be able to find it a good home.
>
> Thanks again for your hard work.
>
> -- Scott

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com