[DogParkList] RE: MacLoggerDX and Keyspan [Incident 020920-000000]

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:38:13 -0400

Hi John,

On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 10:17  AM, John E Bastin, K8AJS wrote:

> At 11:40 -0400 09/22/2002, Don Agro wrote:
>> Both of these programs (MacLoggerDX and WriteLog) were trying to
>> communicate with an Icom radio and failed to get a proper response
>> from the Icom.
> Let me clear this up; I'm running a Yaesu 1000MP, not an Icom.

Oops, yes I got it right in the summary that has been circulating for
the last few days:

Here is a list of known problems with serial IO, please let me know if
there are any errors or omissions

Name            Addapter OS     Radio         Status  Comments
--------------- -------  ------ ------------- ------- ------------------
Pete Meier      USA-19W  10.1.5 Elkraft       Working Switched to Twin.
Chuck Sherman   Twin     10.1.5               Working Reboot fixed it.
Patrick Merat   USA-19W  10.1.5 FT-1000MP MkV Open    ---
John Bastin     USA-19W  10.2   FT-1000MP     Open    WriteLog also
fails.
Scott Anderson  USA-19W  10.1.5 IC-746 Pro    Open    Works under OS 9.
                                                       Switch to Twin
didn't help.

> My debug log reads:
>

> 09/21/2002 07:05:50->00 00 00 02 10
>                ascii:
> 09/21/2002 07:05:55->00 00 00 02 10
>                ascii:
> 09/21/2002 07:06:16->00 00 00 02 10
>                ascii:
>
> and so on ad infinitum.
>
> The onscreen report seems to alternate between "Cannot open port" and
> "Radio is not responding."

Your debug log shows that absolutely nothing is coming back from the
Yaesu.
There is no way MacLoggerDX could be responsible for this no matter how
hard it tried :)

> The thing that's really disturbing is that this problem makes
> MacLoggerDX totally unusable, because it doesn't let me enter
> frequencies manually. If I uncheck the "Radio VFO" box, the frequency
> display is greyed out and I can't do anything at all, and if I check
> "Radio VFO" I can enter numbers into the box but they are not
> transferred to the log when I log the contact.
>
> This also prevents me from entering two meter contacts on a radio to
> which I'm not connected.

Yes, well I suppose I could change MacLoggerDX to enter frequencies for
radios that are not connected.

Please understand that I have been spending many many hours of my own
time to support the Keyspan products because Keyspand has not been
supporting them.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com