[Scons-dev] MSVC 2017+ Toolset Support

Joseph Brill joseph.c.brill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:42:49 EDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 2:06 PM Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> Am I grossly mistaken, or would separate variables as I've proposed above
> also allow specifying as explicitly as the single string which needs to be
> regex'd?

You are not mistaken.

Multiple variables are certainly possible. However, they are more difficult
to reconcile and validate for consistency and in general more verbose from
an end-user perspective.

That said, the current regex and validation/verification is simply an
interface to map a user specification to an internal representation.
There's no reason an alternate user-facing interface cannot be adopted
(other then catching the author on a bad day).  A combination of
toolset/product/component (some or all of which are optional), while more
difficult to validate and reconcile, could certainly be mapped into the
same internal data structures.

What may not be obvious from the regex is that it does not allow a product
type (component) without being attached to a toolset and/or product.  Not
sure if this is desirable or not.  If it is desireable, then the search
algorithm would almost certainly have to be expanded likely with an
additional table with a different ranking scheme.

Admittedly, have not put much thought into that particular scenario.