[Scons-dev] compiler lookups, particularly windows

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Oct 30 16:34:05 EDT 2018

On 10/30/18 11:30 AM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> What would you propose?

if I had a formed proposal I would have made it, instead of asking :)

> I've spent some time adding:
> DefaultEnvironment(tools=[])
> and Environment(tools=[] or just list of tools needed by test)
> In order to speed up windows tests.
>
> These are generally pretty effective, though getting a minimal set of tools
> per test can be time consuming.

I found that when I tried, because there are often not completely
obvious tools in play (at least until you get familiar with what
everything will need).

is there some way system config details could be saved and signed in the
same way that build products can be recorded and cached, and if there's
reason to believe the system has not changed, reuse those?  Or does that
risk heading in the direction of "builds may not be repeatable"?