[Scons-dev] Should we remove python 3.5 from our CI tests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jul 23 05:03:23 EDT 2018

On Sun, 2018-07-22 at 16:38 +0000, Jason Kenny wrote:
> I work on a Apache process. The point of the process is to create
> community. We have people vote on a release or process that range
> from devs , ops to users. The goal is to not break stuff and make
> something people want to use.

There is a lot wrong with the whole Apache system, but releasing is not
one of them. Since Apache Groovy has had to stick to Apache release
rules, releases have always been much more stable with fewer
regressions.

> The project I work on we test on ever platform with different
> compilers. We only cut a platform when it falls off the supported
> list. Honestly most of the test failure seem come from "older"
> platforms when we try to add something new. Having the testing for
> these system make sure we don't break on the system and for our
> users.
>
> There is also a voting system used with "negative" votes that is used
> to prevent stuff from happening. It is often used by Ops people to
> say that they tested something and it breaks. Don't release. The
> community works at the point to figure out how to address the issue
> and go forward with a new vote.

The +1, 0, -1 system has it's faults, but the explicitness of the
voting system is a good thing. That there is a quorum required for a
vote to win is a very good thing.

Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077