[Scons-dev] SCons, Mercurial, BitBucket, Git, and GitHub

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Aug 28 17:02:54 EDT 2017

Hi Russel,

On 28.08.2017 09:43, Russel Winder wrote:
> [...]
>

> The question then has to be how to bring the issues from Tigris to
> GitHub. GitHub issues has an API. If Tigris Issues also has an API then
> it is a question of writing a program, I guess in Python3, since that
> is likely easier than trying to find tools to do the job. For me, there
> is no point in leaving the issues at Tigris. No matter how much better
> the interface is perceived to be compared to GitHub issues, to get the
> integrated workflow of GitHub, it is essential to have the issues on
> GitHub.

not so quick young grasshopper. ;)  (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

I already have a working and complete scraper for the Tigris bugtracker.
It's written in Python2 though, but this wouldn't really be a
showstopper, would it?
I contributed the code in a slightly changed form to the OpenHatch
project, but it's also available in a stand-alone form. It downloads all
issues, together with their notes and attachments into XML files. There
exist also "wrapper" classes for accessing single issues and messages.

It may be true that Github has an API for entering bugs, so a migration
looks like it's a "piece of cake". But be warned that there is caveat in
the form of the "creation date" of single issues. As far as I know, and
the last time I looked, there is no API method to set the creation date
of an issue.
The OpenHatch project itself learned this the hard way when they
migrated their issue database to Github. Suddenly all issues would have
the same creation date. There was no chance to distinguish between old
and new issues (something that I would still like to be able to) and a
lot of tears were cried.

A while ago someone showed up on the dev mailing list, being interested
in migrating our issue tracker to Jira. I gave him my scraper sources,
mentioned the "creation date" problem...and then never heard about this
project again.

Finally and trying to not sound like a broken record, I also do have an
almost complete migration to the Roundup bug tracker. We've demonstrated
in a live instance that the basic migration works and all data is kept.
That's where the work stopped, because I'm still waiting for a "go/no
go" decision to migrate to a separate Roundup tracker instance. This
hasn't happened yet...and I don't say this all while holding grief over
the whole issue. I'm simply reporting what the status of work on this
topic is, or better: was when I left it.

How to continue from here is definitely worth a discussion.