[Scons-dev] no more print statements in SConscripts?

Tim Jenness tjenness at lsst.org
Wed May 25 18:12:31 EDT 2016

> On May 25, 2016, at 14:57, Alexandre Feblot <alexandre at feblot.fr> wrote:
>
> So, here we are, we get an incompatibility with existing product build systems based on current scons, and thus, the need to support multiple versions of scons installed on the same machine, so we can keep compiling all old maintenance branches and all old tags of our products without having to fix all of them?

I’m not entirely sure what you are trying to say. I’m a huge proponent of python 3 and print as a function but I thought at issue here was the risk of shipping scons v3 to users and having everything break. I assumed there was a desire to have current scons users who are happy using scons on their 2.7 system to continue to be able to use scons without editing all their sconstruct files.

I am assuming that people can put “from __future_…” in their SConstruct files if they wish to being migrating their scons-usage to modern Python. The Scons test suite would have to do that to let things pass on 2.7 and 3.x.

Can we agree that it should be desirable for a current scons user to install v3 without having to make any changes to their code? If we have no choice but to insist on __future__ usage then v3 would be a great time to make that change but I’m pretty sure it’s not needed.

—
Tim Jenness