[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Tim Jenness tjenness at lsst.org
Wed May 11 12:11:58 EDT 2016

> On May 11, 2016, at 07:23 , Jonathon Reinhart <jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There has been at least one case where I discovered a small issue with SCons and went to go submit a pull request, but then remembered SCons uses hg, and decided it wasn't worth the effort to install hg, and learn the differences between it and Git.
>
> Is this a case of laziness? Perhaps. But I suspect there are many others who feel the same. With Git, many people already understand the branch, push, pull request model.

I wouldn’t call it laziness as such. I think of it more as overcoming the activation energy. Many of us have many todo items trying to grab our attention and it’s much easier sometimes to just give up and do something else that’s equally important. We obviously could all learn the hg/bitbucket workflow if the motivation was sufficiently high but for me a git/github workflow will always win out. As I said though, don’t change on my account.

—
Tim Jenness