[Scons-dev] Release 2.5.0

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri May 6 05:41:49 EDT 2016

The best way is to rename scons-configure-cache.py to scons-cache-control.py
and add "purge" command with day interval, such as:

    scons-cache-control purge --older-than=300days

Well, adding params to CacheDir so that it is embedded into SConstruct seems
to be a good approach too.

http://www.scons.org/doc/2.4.1/HTML/scons-api/SCons.CacheDir.CacheDir-class.html

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:
> Anatoly,
>
> It's not so simple to automatically do the right thing as the cachedir could
> be holding many variants, some of which aren't built frequently.
>
> That said, I think it's worth developing some functionality to enable
> purging the cachedir based on rules either default, or specified by the
> user.
> (Though likely this is a post 3.0 release item)
>
> -Bill
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:00 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Anatoly,
>> >
>> > Why would they be rebuilding the cache?
>> > The contents are the same, it's simply the directory structure which
>> > changes.
>> >
>> > Most users use the cachedir because building the contents thereof is
>> > "expensive".
>> > Preserving what they've build when we're re-organizing the storage makes
>> > lot of sense.
>> >
>> > If they're just going to wipe out their old cache none of this hurts
>> > them.
>> >
>> > So to put it simply, there will be a migration script provided.
>> > The method listed by Tom looks good to me.
>>

>> I expect that cache needs to be cleaned once in a while. If target binary,
>> such
>> as the one for godot engine is 20Mb, then after 100 builds the wasted
>> space
>> will be 2Gb.
>>
>> How SCons helps to keep cache clean of outdates files? I think that
>> migration
>> script should go somewhere close.

anatoly t.