[Scons-dev] How about ideas

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Jun 22 17:12:12 EDT 2016

Vitold,

Thanks for your input.. responses inline.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Vitold S <vit1251 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     What about a few ideas:
>
> 1. Apache Maven using plugins. How about SCons also use plugins? When
> start we can describe plugins and Scons self-maintince it (download and
> install). Example, scons user use custom builder or
> Envarment(tools=['custom_tools'] and have source it tool on GitHUB as
> source code. Why Scons does not downaload it and start using in runtime?

We've discussed similar and may eventually get there.
If you'd like to send pull requests it could happen faster.

> 2. I always have on one machine a different version of python like 2.7,
> 3.0, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5 and etc. I can call it in shell as python2.7, python3.3
> ... When I try to start scons in shell as module "python2.7 -m scons" it
> does not work. Why you does not using "systemtools' and infrastructure to
> create scons command by systemtools?

We just merged a pull request which should allow python2.7 -m scons to work.
I beleive you mean using distutils/setuptools to create the non .bat for
windows,etc. We do already create a scons script to be run when you install
python via setup.py or via pip (though for now pip install for scons only
works if you are using a virtualenv)

> 3. Use GitHUB to interact with the community, because there numbers great
> service such as:
>     - email subscriptions on issues (like this maillist);
>     - ability to subscribe on single issue (like does not provide by this
> maillist);
>     - most of users have account on githut but not in your maillist;

Our issues are currently on scons.tigris.org and it does allow subscribing
to a single issue.

We've discussed migrating to github and that may happen this year.
Currently the main focus is migrating the codebase to run on both py2 and
py3.

> N.B. Now it looks like that you are close from your users and restrict
> interaction.

That may be  your perception, however it is far from the truth.
All mailing list are open to join, and bitbucket.org (where the code is
hosted) is free for anyone to fork the repo, as is joining tigris.org to be
able to add and comment on bugs.

migrating any of these takes time and at the moment we're focused on other
efforts.

Thanks,
Bill
Co-Manager SCons Project.