[Scons-dev] Python 3 strategy

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jan 25 13:21:55 EST 2016

Hi there,

On 25.01.2016 10:39, Russel Winder wrote:
> I am having difficulty making a decision…
>
> The earlier Python 3 branch is founded on using six. At the time a good
> decision. Now however we have agreed that 2.7 is the base version and
> thus future rather than six is the better tool for Python 3. This
> brings into doubt the python3-port branch as a good base of operations.

here's my 2 cents: For me the major point is to have a combined Python2.7/3.x version at all, and if you guys (thinking of Russel
and William right now) get the impression that starting from scratch with "futurize" is the better plan...please do so. You're doing
the hard work towards this goal at the moment, so you should be free to decide how to get there, in my opinion.
And if this means that some users will later on complain about the dependency to "futurize", well I'd let it happen...
I see a greater overall benefit for the project in getting "some work done", than in "discussing things to death, due to fear of the
unknown". ;)
I'd second Gary, you might want to have a short look at his change sets...and if you still feel like starting from scratch
afterwards, just go for it.