[Scons-dev] Trial SCons migration to git on github

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Jan 10 13:07:26 EST 2016

Hi Gary,

On 10.01.2016 16:05, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de <mailto:tshortik at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 09.01.2016 20:47, Bill Deegan wrote:
>
>         Dirk,
>
>         For me, its "pain in having to remember how to do things in mercurial which I only use for scons" each time I go to work on it I
>         have to refresh my mental cache.
>         Which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be measurable by such statistics. But (at least for me) would increase the amount of fun it is to
>         work on the project.
>

>     and this (I'm referring to the "increased fun" here) wouldn't result in "more commits" and "more bugfixes"? Jonathon Reinhart
>     stated this point in his mail explicitly: more git -> more commits.
>

> This is my situation as well -- SCons is the only project I contribute to that still uses hg, and since I use git everywhere else
> I've become pretty expert at it. It's in my fingers and I don't even think about it anymore. I also have dozens of git aliases and
> config tweaks so I go pretty fast with it. There is of course also the better data model, but of course that's arguable so I'm only
> mentioning my personal situation -- but I suspect I'm not unique. So would switching lead to more commits and bugfixes? I can't say
> for sure but from what I've seen in hiring developers, almost everyone knows git and puts it on their resume, and I only rarely see
> hg experience. So it _might_ make it easier for other contributors.

if all you other core devs feel this way, then I'm not opposed to the idea. Feel free to switch to "git" anytime, and I will adapt
to it. My goal with asking for reference projects was to be able to point to a benefit for the whole project...and not only for
single contributors. But there really seems to be enough momentum behind this decision to just go with the "gut feelings" of you
all...so be it then.