[Scons-dev] Trial SCons migration to git on github

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jan 10 08:41:51 EST 2016

On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 14:09 +0100, Dirk Bächle wrote:

[…]
> I would also like to make us a clear statement first, about what we
> want to change/migrate and why we want to do it. I'm currently
> trying to find examples of large open-source projects (not some small
> repos, maintained by a single person) that have moved from
> Mercurial to git. Can anyone give pointers?
> My goal here is to analyze the log/commit history in order to find
> out whether the migration actually did have a measurable effect
> on things like "frequency of commits per month", "LOC touched per
> month", "new committers per month" and so on.

Probably the most high profile Mercurial → Git switch has been the Go
project.

The core of their rationale was workflow for pull request review and
acceptance. I suspect also that Google is trying to switch all their
work to Git.

Go switched from a Google hosted Mercurial repository with Rietveld as
the review system, to a Google hosted Git repository mirrored on GitHub
with Gerrit as the review system.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk