[Scons-dev] Trial SCons migration to git on github

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Jan 10 10:05:47 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 09.01.2016 20:47, Bill Deegan wrote:
>
>> Dirk,
>>
>> For me, its "pain in having to remember how to do things in mercurial
>> which I only use for scons" each time I go to work on it I
>> have to refresh my mental cache.
>> Which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be measurable by such statistics. But (at
>> least for me) would increase the amount of fun it is to
>> work on the project.
>>

> and this (I'm referring to the "increased fun" here) wouldn't result in
> "more commits" and "more bugfixes"? Jonathon Reinhart stated this point in
> his mail explicitly: more git -> more commits.

This is my situation as well -- SCons is the only project I contribute to
that still uses hg, and since I use git everywhere else I've become pretty
expert at it. It's in my fingers and I don't even think about it anymore. I
also have dozens of git aliases and config tweaks so I go pretty fast with
it. There is of course also the better data model, but of course that's
arguable so I'm only mentioning my personal situation -- but I suspect I'm
not unique. So would switching lead to more commits and bugfixes? I can't
say for sure but from what I've seen in hiring developers, almost everyone
knows git and puts it on their resume, and I only rarely see hg experience.
So it _might_ make it easier for other contributors.

As for using a git-hg bridge, that would help local usage for us git users,
but it doesn't change the underlying branching model. If it's decided not
to switch, I might consider trying that.