[Scons-dev] Shipping one time migration scripts with SCons

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:32:58 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
> @Vasily: It's okay for the script to be clearly visible, that's the whole
> point about it. Users that need it for their migration tasks should be able
> to find it with the least amount of effort. They already have to do some
> "silly" migration tasks, so why should we make it artificially harder for
> them?

Because you make it harder for all other users to spot useful goodies
when they type scons<tab> in their command line. Why should I have to
read that name all the time? If there are many goodies of this kind are
expected, maybe some kind of `sconservice` should be invented - it is
impossible to run the tool with just sco<tab> anyway because of
sconsign and scons-time.

Also this tool could be shipped as a plugin, which
updates cache structure automatically and fails when somebody tries to
use older SCons version.

--
anatoly t.