[Scons-dev] Shipping one time migration scripts with SCons

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 03:21:57 EST 2016

Hi William,

On 01.02.2016 22:57, William Blevins wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think that a script of this nature should be revision controlled with the software release that it is related to. I'm not sure
> when this script should be removed sadly. I wish I could recommend doing it in the commit immediately after the first SCons release
> containing the change, but seems that many SCons users don't really keep up-to-date, so there is a definite possibility for people
> skipping versions of the software.

my thoughts go into this direction too. We could wait a few releases, and then move the script to the top-level "bin" folder of the
repo...where all other tool/utility scripts are.
It would still be available like this for an immediate download straight from the repo, if people continue to use it.

@Vasily: It's okay for the script to be clearly visible, that's the whole point about it. Users that need it for their migration
tasks should be able to find it with the least amount of effort. They already have to do some "silly" migration tasks, so why should
we make it artificially harder for them?