[Scons-dev] Missing Wiki page on pkg-config

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Feb 1 04:24:00 EST 2016

On Sun, 2016-01-31 at 22:14 +0200, anatoly techtonik wrote:

[…]
> Wiki usually contains more info and useful user feedback. So is it
> possible to recover that page to ensure that nothing important was
> lost?

I think it would be worth having the page recovered if at all possible.

[…]
> Currently it is done with
>     env.ParseConfig("pkg-config --libs --cflags $PKGCONFIG_FLAGS
> pango" + backend + version_arg)
> https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob/master/scons/pango.py#L22
>
> but it assumes that I have development libs installed on the system
> in
> appropriate location. I am on Windows. But even on Linux I'd prefer
> not
> to install anything anyway just to compile one package. So instead I
> unpack http://win-builds.org/doku.php/1.5.0_packages#pango_1341-1_-_l
> ibrary_for_layout_and_rendering_of_text
> and need to find all files there.
>
> Is that feasible?

No. You have to have the development headers installed to do the
compilation at all, and the *.pc files needed for pkg-config invariable
come with the development headers.

Pango comes with a lot of dependencies.

> I also found this on PyPI - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pykg-
> config/1.3.0
> which seems like it may help.

Looks like an unmaintained project. Certainly we could fork this and
have it inside SCons so as to replace the need for the external pkg-
config program. The ParseConfig stuff could then be rewritten to make
is very much easier to work with. Maybe this would lead to work on the
whole Configure system, which is a wee bit difficult to work with at
times.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk