[Scons-dev] Missing Wiki page on pkg-config

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Feb 1 04:16:34 EST 2016

On Sun, 2016-01-31 at 22:07 +0200, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> […]
>
> So how can I use it? I don't have `pkg-config` installed and I can't
> install
> pango binary package from MinGW, but I need to get to includes, libs
> and
> C flags from this archive.

This add-on is all about using pkg-config, which is the standard
mechanism for dealing with library options and dependencies. If this is
not installed then it is down to manually knowing everything and
encoding it in the build.

If you cannot install Pango library, headers, and dependencies, I am
not sure there is any point in knowing the flags and libraries as you
won't be able to do any compilation.

Clearly I am missing something of the situation you are in. Sorry.

[…]

> A most popular desktop system in the world. Somehow it happens that
> "Windows is awesome" and "Linux sucks 2016".

Everyone to their own view. :-)

> Also, a system where the problem with free mingw toolchain and
> pkg-config is more actual than for systems where these were designed
> to work.

Exactly. Pango, Fontconfig, etc. are alien to Windows, they are Linux
and UNIX things (that also work fairly well on the UNIX variant called
OSX). I am not convinced trying to get stuff that is alien to Windows
to work on Windows is worth the effort.

I guess that using full on MinGW or Cygwin would make things a lot
easier, but last time I did anything like this was > 12 years ago.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk