[Scons-dev] Roundup tracker demo instance...

Florian Miedniak florian.miedniak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:06:27 EDT 2015

Having spent some time to read the past scons-dev threads related to bug
tracker. Let me summarize in short:
- Tigris is badhttps://
mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#label/scons%2Fscons-dev/150007f69c46a119v
(considered awful)
- Want another tracker, that is most attractive to contributors (make it
easy to report bugs / feature requests)
- New tracker shall integrate well with version control system (today:
mercurial), hosting system (today: bitbucket). Integration with build
system (today: buildbot) nice to have
- New tracker preferably shall have no vendor-lockin regarding
export/import and customizing the tracker itself
- RoundUp was discussed as the future tracker
- Discussion stalled about a year ago, when some problems occured on
migration to RoundUp (import issues and some work left to get RoundUp in a
"beautiful" state)
- Import problems seem to be fixed (?) with latest demo by dirk, but
reading recent comments of this thread, it seems that the demo doesn't
provide a good enough user experience
- Some prefer a hosted solution with less effort to maintain, even if that
means a possible vendor-lockin
- Others (totally) object to this and want to improve RoundUp instead (due
to common roots with scons in software carpentry contest, written in
python, open source)

As far as I can see, there is little about the requirements for an issue
tracker for scons that has not been said until know. ;-) What's left to do
is "simply" to make a decision, which way to go:
- Proceed with RoundUp / another open source issue tracker and host it
ourselves
- Watch out for and evaluate another issue tracker (that's possibly hosted)

I heavily agree with Andrew Featherstone that a good issue tracker and the
sane state of issue within it is *the *metric many people have a look on
very early when evaluating an open source project. So honestly I'm a bit
confused, that this topic seems to be neglected a bit (Reading through the
threads felt like there is more discussion than action ...)  and IMO this
just doesn't fit to the otherwise very smooth handling of contribution to
the project, which I experienced recently :-)

-Florian