[Scons-dev] Issue tracker

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Mar 9 17:10:25 EDT 2015

Hi there,

On 09.03.2015 09:46, Andrew Featherstone wrote:
> The last time (that I can recall) the issue tracker was discussed the plan was that the project would be moving to a tailored
> Roundup based system. What's the state of that work?

to my knowledge the state is pretty much the same as was discussed in:

   https://pairlist2.pair.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2012-September/000223.html
   https://pairlist2.pair.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2014-April/001323.html
   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2014-May/001369.html

and

   https://pairlist2.pair.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2014-July/001511.html

So there are scripts to migrate from Tigris->Roundup, we'd just need an instance. There is still a minor problem, in that the
"creation/last activity" time of all bugs gets set to the "import" time and can't be tweaked. So one can't properly sort old bugs
depending on their "age" anymore...which I really regard to be a loss.

What I took from all the discussions so far, was that we definitely don't want to deal with Tigris anymore. So any step in a
different direction should be a win.
Our latest plan was a migration to Roundup, because:

   a.) it's Python, and we like to support everyone who's holding the Python flag high (like ourselves),
   b.) it supports a lot more "fields" for classifying issues than, for example, the Github tracker,... so the overall information
loss would be minimal when converting the whole archive.

Here I assume, that we don't want to simply start with new bugs in a different tracker, because we (I) have to be able to search in
the old archives or reference them. Tigris would still be an issue then, and we don't want that, right?
There should be only *one* tracker...and I'd really like to see a "Demo" Roundup instance in action, with all our current issues
imported. So it would be really cool if:

- Anatoly would express that he's still interested in vamping Roundup to support OpenID, and tell us whether he still needs help
with the documentation to get this going.
- Some native speaker(s) would volunteer to help him out then.
- Someone would volunteer to setup a Roundup demo instance, so we could play around with it a bit...and get a feel for whether it's
worth a try.

We have our similar statement(s) at http://www.scons.org/dev.php , http://www.scons.org/guidelines.php , and not to forget
http://www.scons.org/wiki/DeveloperGuide/Introduction , feel free to suggest changes or additions.