[Scons-dev] Announcement: Core changes for v2.4 ahead, Switching the Node class to using slots...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Mar 2 03:30:34 EST 2015

Alexandre,

On 02.03.2015 09:06, alexandre.feblot at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> About those new interfaces for accessing node attributes that may get initialized lazily, do I understand here the consequences properly?
>
> - Using directly a_node.path or a_node.abspath *must* be replaced in all SConstructs/SConscripts by the new interfaces if we wan’t them to keep working properly
> - This lets us with 2 solutions:
>     1- Do these changes in all our product maintenance branches, and even each time we need to checkout again an old tag we want to compile again.
>     2- Keep an old Scons 2.3 to build our old code, and change our build infrastructure to be able to have different SCons paths, so we can chose the proper one.

sorry, I forgot:

       3- Factor out all your direct accesses to Node internals into a custom module/Builder, and then wrap it with a check for the
SCons version. For 2.3.x and smaller, you access Node attributes as before, and for the newer versions you then branch to using the
getter methods.

This is pretty much what the compat layer would do, which I mentioned in my last reply.