[Scons-dev] Announcement: Core changes for v2.4 ahead, Switching the Node class to using slots...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Mar 2 03:20:37 EST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for showing your interest in this thread/announcement.

On 02.03.2015 09:06, alexandre.feblot at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> About those new interfaces for accessing node attributes that may get initialized lazily, do I understand here the consequences properly?
>
> - Using directly a_node.path or a_node.abspath *must* be replaced in all SConstructs/SConscripts by the new interfaces if we wan’t them to keep working properly

Yes, that is correct.

> - This lets us with 2 solutions:
>     1- Do these changes in all our product maintenance branches, and even each time we need to checkout again an old tag we want to compile again.
>     2- Keep an old Scons 2.3 to build our old code, and change our build infrastructure to be able to have different SCons paths, so we can chose the proper one.

Depending on how exactly your build structure looks like, these are your main options, I guess. You might want to consider using an
scons-local package for now, that you check in with your current source code (on a branch?). Like this, you just have to checkout
the branch and can build your projects right away.
For the "default" branch (trunk) you would then switch the interfaces to the SCons 2.4+, which you install on all machines per
default as before.

If this gives you headaches, let's talk about it some more. I had some ideas about a shim compatibility layer in mind...but in
general it's better for you to get away from directly accessing SCons internals.