[Scons-dev] All green in buildbot land..

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Feb 23 02:28:33 EST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-22 at 22:09 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> With help from Dirk and Russel we're green (no failures in runtest.py) on
> all buildbot slaves.
>
> I'd like to suggest that going forward any failures after a patch must be
> fixed before any other patch is applied.
>
> Any objections?

That strikes me as an excellent management approach. Of course the
downside is that pull requests can only be applied as fast as "all
green" appears on the Buildbot console after a merge into mainline. Fine
if no errors, but potentially problematic in the face of awkward new
reds.

It would seem to me that there actually needs to be two CI instances: a
testbed instance which operates on a newly created repository that is
transient. A pull request is tried on this ephemeral repository, if
green then a merge of the pull request into mainline is allowed. If red
then preserve the CI results for analysis, but do not merge into
mainline. This way only passing pull requests are ever merged into
mainline and there is never a hold up.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk