[Scons-dev] Code of conduct?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Dec 7 21:33:54 EST 2015

Hi William,

thanks for your comments. See inline replies below...

On 08.12.2015 03:08, William Blevins wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de <mailto:tshortik at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     On 04.12.2015 18:10, Bill Deegan wrote:
>
>         All,
>
>         Perhaps it's a good idea to add an official code of conduct for SCons.
>         http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-hugging-will-continue-until-morale-improves/
>
>         The following site seems to provide a reasonable code.
>         http://contributor-covenant.org/
>
>         Thoughts?
>

>     here's my opinion:
>
>     - +1, in general. I don't mind having a CoC, and I fail to see how following this "mainstream" (allegedly) pattern could harm
>     the project.
>     - For my personal taste, the yahoo example provided by Gary is too long to read. Bill's and Russel's texts are shorter, and
>     easier to digest for me as non-native speaker.
>     - Simply adopting one of those options would be fine with me. @WBlevins: I would be opposed to the idea of then adding more
>     regulations on top. It's not much more than a badge, that says: "We care." And when the time comes, we'll take actions and
>     "care" without having to look up our CoC. We've done this successfully in the past...
>

> You are somewhat contradicting yourself here.

That's possible.

> If we show that we care based on our actions, then why do we need a badge that says we
> care?  Our actions should speak louder than a code of conduct.

You're right, in principle. But for people that aren't too deeply involved with the development and mailing list management, this
might not be obvious at a first glance. As Bill reported, people start to ask for a CoC when looking at a project. Maybe "badge"
isn't the right word here, sorry.

> If we want a code of conduct, then that is fine. I guess my point was... how does that change how we currently do business? Seems
> that from your comments, it changes nothing.  Now we just have some words on a page; not that I am opposed to this.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm after. I don't want the CoC to change how we handle business. It should just reinforce that we "take
action" if required. Having exactly laid out, in case of an "intervention", who is then talking to who, in which timeframe,...is
already too detailed, for my taste.

Regards,