[Scons-dev] Code of conduct?

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:08:41 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 04.12.2015 18:10, Bill Deegan wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Perhaps it's a good idea to add an official code of conduct for SCons.
>>
>> http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-hugging-will-continue-until-morale-improves/
>>
>> The following site seems to provide a reasonable code.
>> http://contributor-covenant.org/
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> here's my opinion:
>
> - +1, in general. I don't mind having a CoC, and I fail to see how
> following this "mainstream" (allegedly) pattern could harm the project.
> - For my personal taste, the yahoo example provided by Gary is too long to
> read. Bill's and Russel's texts are shorter, and easier to digest for me as
> non-native speaker.
> - Simply adopting one of those options would be fine with me. @WBlevins: I
> would be opposed to the idea of then adding more regulations on top. It's
> not much more than a badge, that says: "We care." And when the time comes,
> we'll take actions and "care" without having to look up our CoC. We've done
> this successfully in the past...

You are somewhat contradicting yourself here. If we show that we care based
on our actions, then why do we need a badge that says we care?  Our actions
should speak louder than a code of conduct.

If we want a code of conduct, then that is fine. I guess my point was...
how does that change how we currently do business? Seems that from your
comments, it changes nothing.  Now we just have some words on a page; not
that I am opposed to this.

My 2 cents,
William