[Scons-dev] PlatformIO and SCons

Ivan Kravets me at ikravets.com
Sun Nov 16 11:44:00 EST 2014

> On Nov 16, 2014, at 12:09, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> thanks a lot for notifying us about your project. I just had a short look at the website, and it looks really slick. My congratulations!
Thanks. "Made with Love in Ukraine" :)

> On 15.11.2014 23:44, Ivan Kravets wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for great SCons project!
>>
>> I'm an author of PlatformIO open-source project http://platformio.ikravets.com
>>
>> PlatformIO Source Code builder is based on SCons. I promote SCons for embedded developers :)
>> See the section "Smart Code Builder. Fast and Reliable." on the home page of project.
>>
>> Could I ask you to put an information about PlatformIO to this page http://www.scons.org/refer.php   ?
>>

> @Gary, @Bill: Can one of you comment on this? I'm not a 100% sure where our web sources are, was it already migrated to hg, or is it still in SVN (what's the repo link)?
>
> By the way, we also have a list of projects in our Wiki at http://scons.org/wiki/SconsProjects , so I'll add you there as well, okay?

Could you put this information in alphabetic order (between "openEHR" and "PowderToy" projects)?

>> P.S: The SCons-end developers have problem with PIP & SCons (they can't include SCons to dependency list and to install Scons via PIP without "egg").  I've been monitoring this pull-request https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-request/113/fix-for-bug-2769-which-should-allow-scons/diff for several months. Do you have any plans to fix this issue?
>>
> Yes, it's still on our Todo list...and work on it will continue soon. We're sorry for the inconvenience, but it's a tricky issue (as everything related to packaging in Python is) and we don't want to break anything for other users.
Thanks a lot for your efforts. It would be easy for end embedded developers to use simple command for install PlatformIO, like,

$ pip install platformio

According to it, I created additional "Installer Script" named "get-platformio.py" which installs PlatformIO from PyPi and SCons from RAW SOURCE FORGE. Now it looks like:

$ python get-platformio.py.

See https://github.com/ivankravets/platformio/blob/develop/scripts/get-platformio.py

-----

Who does maintain PyPi SCons package? Where we can find "bdbaddog" ? :)

It would be nice to see here https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SCons the latest version of SCons :)

P.S: I understand that SCons dev-team are not interested in PyPi, but many people can't use it when install via PIP or include in "dependency" list. To my mind, the SCons is #1 in "Software Builder" category which is written in Python. We are waiting for new release with PIP support and for updated package in PyPi :-)

With best regards, Ivan Kravets
   - "Creativity comes from talent and never from knowledge" (c)