[Scons-dev] Likely bug - installing side effect files

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Nov 3 09:31:09 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Ben Golding <Ben.Golding at synopsys.com> wrote:
> Nevertheless, what effect does this "marking" of the side effect file actually have during the build? What can I usefully do with the object returned by SideEffect()?
>
> Does it have an effect during the parallel build? (like a mutex, restricting that only one builder instance can run concurrently if they share the same hard-coded filename)

Yes, that's exactly what it does -- only one builder that produces a
given side effect can run at a time.  It also prevents these files
from being deleted in some cases before a builder runs, at least
that's what I remember.

There's probably a place in Taskmaster (maybe task_prepare or
something like that) that could check for a side-effect node being
used as a source and emit a warning.