[Scons-dev] Likely bug - installing side effect files

Ben Golding Ben.Golding at synopsys.com
Mon Nov 3 08:44:51 EST 2014

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the clarification.

Nevertheless, what effect does this "marking" of the side effect file actually have during the build? What can I usefully do with the object returned by SideEffect()?

Does it have an effect during the parallel build? (like a mutex, restricting that only one builder instance can run concurrently if they share the same hard-coded filename)

> Another thing that "SideEffect()" does, is to mark the file for getting
> removed on a "scons -c". In the past, this has misled many writers of
> builders/tools, to use SideEffect() in favour of the more correct Clean()...

If you are correct, this behaviour is certainly in contradiction with the docs:
http://scons.org/doc/latest/HTML/scons-user/apd.html#f-sideeffect

Regards
Ben