[Scons-dev] API for warnings and debug messages

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed May 28 12:55:34 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>wrote:

>  It was part of the document I sent out on how I deal with steaming of
> stuff.
>

> There is an internal API that I provide.
>
> The main interface function are defined in parts.api.output.py (attached
> as tigris is messed up at the moment, need to move to bitbucket…). these
> functions call stuff in a Parts reporter for coloring/ log mapping. For
> this discussion this could just call print() internally instead of all the
> other stuff I have.
>

> The document talks a little about the main structure… it could be
> improved. But the main value I have with it is that it hides python 2 and 3
> issues. It allows me a way to filter message, and it makes extra virtual
> streams that can be nice to separate, stuff like verbose and trace/debug
> can be nice separation. It also allow for a extendable logger. I have a
> simple html, text and rtf logger at the moment.
>

> Let me know if there any questions
>

> Just skimmed the document.  The parts logger seems very complex in design,
perhaps even more so than python's logger module (which has loggers,
handlers, formatters, and more).  It does a lot, but it seems focused on
handling output from subcommands rather than simple debug tracing, so we
can get some visibility into SCons's guts.  Let me put together my simple
trace stuff for review and see what you think.