[Scons-dev] API for warnings and debug messages

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Tue May 27 20:48:45 EDT 2014

Gary,

Would it be smart to use the python logging module? (it’s in 2.7 and 3.x)
https://docs.python.org/2/library/logging.html

Less code = good?

-Bill

On May 27, 2014 at 5:13:27 PM, Gary Oberbrunner (garyo at oberbrunner.com) wrote:

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the current practice for producing and controlling
> warnings and debug output for SCons core?
>
> I need to hack some tools and want to make sure that
> there is a way to troubleshoot the issues. I want to add a
> couple of debug and warning messages to MSVC
> toolchain code, and it is critical that users can
> easily discover how to turn on the debug. So far I see a
> custom debug framework in MSCommon/common.py
>
> Is there a standard way?

Funny you should mention it; I have a patch pending to add an internal
tracing facility to SCons just for this kind of thing. The current
tracing code is ad hoc. I wrote my new version when Dirk and I were
debugging that node caching problem a few months ago as a
generalization of (and replacement for) --taskmastertrace. I will try
to put together a pull request very shortly. It's only a start but
hopefully will be useful.