[Scons-dev] API for warnings and debug messages

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Tue May 27 20:13:19 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the current practice for producing and controlling
> warnings and debug output for SCons core?
>
> I need to hack some tools and want to make sure that
> there is a way to troubleshoot the issues. I want to add a
> couple of debug and warning messages to MSVC
> toolchain code, and it is critical that users can
> easily discover how to turn on the debug. So far I see a
> custom debug framework in MSCommon/common.py
>
> Is there a standard way?

Funny you should mention it; I have a patch pending to add an internal
tracing facility to SCons just for this kind of thing.  The current
tracing code is ad hoc.  I wrote my new version when Dirk and I were
debugging that node caching problem a few months ago as a
generalization of (and replacement for) --taskmastertrace.  I will try
to put together a pull request very shortly.  It's only a start but
hopefully will be useful.