[Scons-dev] Hummm... rant on

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Mar 2 14:55:33 EST 2014

As far as I understand it, env.Detect calls env.WhereIs with path=None,
which means it uses env['ENV']['PATH']. By default, a new Environment
doesn't inherit the user's shell environment into env['ENV'], but users can
modify it as they want. So in a real user's code, the path Detect will use
depends on what they put into their SConstruct.

I see your point about the tests being more lenient in where they look; it
makes it hard to skip tests reliably. Perhaps the tests that do that
should add their executable's dir to env['ENV']['PATH'] when running the
tests? If you like that, perhaps we could codify it by making it easy to
do from the test framework.