[Scons-dev] Hummm… rant on

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 14:40:36 EST 2014

I think I have ranted about this before, but the red haze must have been
so strong I failed to note the well reasoned responses you folk will
have provided.

The core problem is that TestSCons.TestSCons().where_is(x) uses the
user's path for executable look up whereas Environment.Detect(x) does
not. Thus canonical, idiomatic tests (based on the tests in the SCons
codebase) are inconsistent with canonical, idiomatic tools (based on the
tools in the SCons codebase). Basically there is a fundamental
assumption that all executables are in (for Linux and OSX) /usr/bin
without fail, and that anything else is unacceptable.

If the assumption SCons wants to make is that there is /usr/bin and
nothing else fine, but the tests framework should reflect that – even
though it would be wrong ;-)

So can someone ignore all the tests of the SCons system and tell me how
to make the decision in a test of whether env.Detect(x) will find the
executable.

I'm off for more Ricard so all future emails tonight will be
incomprehensible…

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder