[Scons-dev] SConf description

Managan, Rob managan1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 4 10:40:51 EDT 2014

Bill,

To me it sounds like he wrote this description of Scons.SConf and wanted to confirm that it is correct since he is does not use the sconf feature himself.

Here is an edit or two to the text; mainly adding articles. I mainly have used it to detect whether a library is present and turn on/off the appropriate compile defines.

"""SCons.SConf

Autoconf-like configuration support.

In other words, this package allows the user to run a series of tests to detect
capabilities of the current system and to generate config files (header files
in C/C++) that turn on system-specific options and optimizations.

For example, it is possible to detect if optional libraries are present
on current system and update the environment so that the compiler includes them.
C compilers do not have ability to catch ImportError if some library is
not found, so these checks should be done externally.
"""

Rob Managan                             email managan at llnl.gov
LLNL                                             phone: 925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-095                   FAX:   925-422-3389
Livermore, CA  94551-0808