[Scons-dev] HG questions

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Mon Jul 14 16:40:18 EDT 2014

On Monday, July 14, 2014 11:12:53 PM anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 13, 2014 06:50:51 PM William Blevins wrote:
> >> What is the convention for working on multiple discrete items?
>
> I use Mercurial Queues and recently even been told about 'hg qq' command
> that allows to maintain multiple patch queues in parallel.

Yeah, but the queues don't travel between clones unless you make the queue
directory a repository.  And then you have to pull/push the queue directory in
addition to the repo to which they belong.

At least that's how it worked when I used it.

> >> The DevelWiki says that I need permission to make branches, but without
> >> them I don't understand how I can make disjoint pull requests.
> >
> > Normally, you want to use a bookmark.
> >
> > http://www.scons.org/wiki/SconsMercurialWorkflows#Working_on_several_.22br
> > anches.22_at_once
> >
> > Mercurial branches (i.e., something created by "hg branch <name>") are
> > really, really weird.  That command (essentially) tags a group of
> > changesets (not even related changesets) with a global attribute.
>
> Nothing weird. It marks changesets as belonging to a branch. This is made to
> preserve history of a feature development. Correct me if I wrong, but in
> Git the branch information is lost once the commit is merged. So  if there
> are many branches merged at the same time - it would be really hard to
> untangle this, no?

You can use the hg branch command to mark totally unrelated changesets in a
repository as belonging to the same branch.  IMO, that makes it weird.

As much as I hate things about Git (like the totally idiotic UI), unless you
explicitly delete the branch tag, it sticks around.  However, Git views a
branch tag as belonging to a specific repository not as a global name.

IIRC (and I may not), I believe that a given hg changeset can belong to only
one branch.  If that is the case, it appears to me that you would have a
similar untangle problem with hg as you indicate that you would with git.