[Scons-dev] HG questions

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:12:53 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 13, 2014 06:50:51 PM William Blevins wrote:
>> What is the convention for working on multiple discrete items?

I use Mercurial Queues and recently even been told about 'hg qq' command
that allows to maintain multiple patch queues in parallel.

>> The DevelWiki says that I need permission to make branches, but without
>> them I don't understand how I can make disjoint pull requests.
>
> Normally, you want to use a bookmark.
>
> http://www.scons.org/wiki/SconsMercurialWorkflows#Working_on_several_.22branches.22_at_once
>
> Mercurial branches (i.e., something created by "hg branch <name>") are really,
> really weird.  That command (essentially) tags a group of changesets (not even
> related changesets) with a global attribute.

Nothing weird. It marks changesets as belonging to a branch. This is made to
preserve history of a feature development. Correct me if I wrong, but in Git the
branch information is lost once the commit is merged. So  if there are many
branches merged at the same time - it would be really hard to untangle this, no?