[Scons-dev] Is Tigris issue tracking actively used?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 16:59:59 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Andrew Featherstone
<andrew.featherstone at cantab.net> wrote:
> On 07/07/14 21:17, Dirk Bächle wrote:
>>
>> On 07.07.2014 22:01, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>>> No. Sorry. Dirk made script to export tigris.org issues, which I
>>> saved here:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/dataliberation/src/tip/issues/?at=default
>>>
>>> but Google deprecated their Issue API, probably due a lot of spam:
>>> https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTrackerAPIPython
>>> Bitbucket supports import/export, but was considered awful by me:
>>>
>>> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Export+or+import+issue+data
>>>
>>> and then I stuck with reversing Roundup tracker model.
>>

>> Moving to Roundup as bug tracker got discussed recently on the dev ML:
>>
>>   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2014-May/001369.html
>>
>> I have patched the export scripts from the dataliberation repo above,
>> and am able to export most of the current Tigris tracker's info to a
>> Roundup instance.
>>
>> I also have two final pull requests pending at OpenHatch:
>>
>>   https://github.com/openhatch/oh-bugimporters/pull/57
>>   https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/293
>>
>> which will make our database available (read-only) via their Roundup
>> tracker.
>
> Whilst the project may not like Github or Bitbucket's in built issue
> trackers, personally rolling your own comes across as a really good way to
> minimise the number of people who contribute to the SCons project. Each
> unfamiliar technology, new account to set up, etc forms a hurdle, and
> eventually people just stop jumping. I've only every heard of Roundup on
> this list, and Tigris is dying but at least it exists and can and is being
> used today. It's the dev team's prerogative to move from tracker to tracker,
> but please let's not sidetrack a thread on "how can I make the project
> better today" with conjecture and what-ifs.

Roundup tracker is used by bugs.python.org and it is, like SCons, open
source and MIT licensed. So pumping up Roundup is a contribution on larger
scale. I completely agree that the entry process should be as fast as
possible, but given two examples with python.org site and warehouse (new
pypi) hosted in Github, I think it is only a part of the problem.

SCons attracts people, because people here try to eat their own dogfood,
keep things vendor-unlocked, original and open from ground zero up. Not
many projects are organized in this fashion.

What will help SCons is to implement http://openid.net/connect/ for
Roundup. This tech is new, entertaining and is supported by Google at
least.
--
anatoly t.