[Scons-dev] Is Tigris issue tracking actively used?

Andrew Featherstone andrew.featherstone at cantab.net
Mon Jul 7 16:48:50 EDT 2014

On 07/07/14 21:17, Dirk Bächle wrote:
> On 07.07.2014 22:01, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Andrew Featherstone
>> <andrew.featherstone at cantab.net> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I was wondering what the current state of issue tracking is for the
>>> SCons
>>> project. There was some talk a little while back about moving away from
>>> Tigris to a different issue tracker, has that happened?
>> No. Sorry. Dirk made script to export tigris.org issues, which I
>> saved here:
>> https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/dataliberation/src/tip/issues/?at=default
>>
>> but Google deprecated their Issue API, probably due a lot of spam:
>> https://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTrackerAPIPython
>> Bitbucket supports import/export, but was considered awful by me:
>> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Export+or+import+issue+data
>>
>> and then I stuck with reversing Roundup tracker model.
>
> Moving to Roundup as bug tracker got discussed recently on the dev ML:
>
>   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2014-May/001369.html
>
> I have patched the export scripts from the dataliberation repo above,
> and am able to export most of the current Tigris tracker's info to a
> Roundup instance.
>
> I also have two final pull requests pending at OpenHatch:
>
>   https://github.com/openhatch/oh-bugimporters/pull/57
>   https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/293
>
> which will make our database available (read-only) via their Roundup
> tracker.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dirk

Whilst the project may not like Github or Bitbucket's in built issue
trackers, personally rolling your own comes across as a really good way
to minimise the number of people who contribute to the SCons project.
Each unfamiliar technology, new account to set up, etc forms a hurdle,
and eventually people just stop jumping. I've only every heard of
Roundup on this list, and Tigris is dying but at least it exists and can
and is being used today. It's the dev team's prerogative to move from
tracker to tracker, but please let's not sidetrack a thread on "how can
I make the project better today" with conjecture and what-ifs.

Cheers,
Andrew