[Scons-dev] Undocumented Python 2.6 requirement boost

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Dec 31 06:37:20 EST 2014

Hi,

Am 28.12.2014 um 11:57 schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that our README.rst lists Python 2.6
> as minimum requirement. But:
>
>    src/README.txt
>    src/RELEASE.txt
>    src/Announce.txt
>    src/CHANGES.txt
>
> All these files doesn't record where did that
> happened. Moreover Announce.txt says that
> everything below 2.7 is deprecated.
>
> Can we reach some clarity in this mess? =)

the "Announce.txt" for

   RELEASE 2.3.1 - Mon, 02 Mar 2014 13:53:45 -0400

contains the note:

"""
  Please note the following important changes since release 2.2.0:

     -- SUPPORT FOR PYTHON VERSIONS BEFORE 2.7 IS NOW DEPRECATED

        ***IMPORTANT***: This release is the last version of SCons to support
        Python versions older than 2.7.  This release will warn if you are
        running on Python 2.6 or older; future releases will probably not
        work at all, as we are moving toward supporting Python 3.
        Use --warn=no-python-version to suppress the warning if needed.

     -- A lot of python pre-2.4 compatibility code was removed
        in this release.  2.4 is the official floor for SCons,
        but this release will likely enforce it more rigidly.
"""

which properly and clearly starts the deprecation cycle, warning users to prepare for the switch to Python 2.7/3.x. In the current
state of development we try to keep as much of the code 2.6 compatible as long as we can, as a convenience for users that are still
stuck with older Python versions 2.6.x. But when we add new functionality and *have* to use 2.7 features, we are free to do so.
Saying that everything < 2.7 is deprecated means (to me) that when suddenly things break for a user under Python 2.6, it's not a bug
and we're not obliged to make things work again in older versions. I really fail to see a mess here...