[Scons-dev] What to replace the wiki with?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Dec 12 11:16:43 EST 2014

Gary,

On 12.12.2014 15:00, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
> I would like to find a system that has some kind of online
> editor/previewer, rather than a pure clone/edit/push/pull-request
> system (whether it's git or hg), because sometimes you want to see how
> your markup will actually look on the site before pushing it.  (Dirk,
> I think that would also help the "occasional contributor" overhead
> you're concerned about.)  I do think something hg or git-based would
> be preferable.
sounds acceptable. What I'm mainly after is that a user can queue his
changes...and then forget about them. So he doesn't have to cycle
through all kinds of review steps, or answer further inquiries. That
might put people off...
It should be "edit", "save/commit"...done.
> And yes, we have to move it off our current hosting provider because
> DoS attacks on our MoinMoin wiki bring the shared server to its knees
> on a somewhat regular basis.  And I'm not ready to be sysadmin of
> another amazon micro instance, so we need a hosted solution.

Do we have admin access to the host where our website is running on?
What is it exactly, apached? I just stumbled over this module

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smb-technologist/secure-your-apache-server-from-ddos-slowloris-and-dns-injection-attacks/

, not sure if it could really help.

> Anyway, I have the existing wiki mostly converted from moin to
> markdown (github flavor, but I could redo it as a different flavor
> depending on what we choose) with only a few hand edits necessary.
> Some things like the Bug() macro won't translate, but I think we can
> live without that.  I didn't find any decent tools to convert from
> moin to rst, so I think going with a markdown solution would be easier
> than rst at this point, though I think pandoc can convert between
> markdown and rst, so if needed we can do that -- not sure how lossy
> that conversion would be.
There is also Creole ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup) ),
which is supported by Bitbucket. I have no personal experience with it,
but it seems to be designed for exactly this purpose of migrating from
one Wiki to another.