[Scons-dev] What to replace the wiki with?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Dec 12 03:32:58 EST 2014

On 12.12.2014 01:47, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> Trying to figure out a way we can avoid the spam problem we've had so far.

Yes, I know and I'm not against it. Many thanks to you and Gary for
caring to find an alternative.
No matter what the final technical solution will look like, I'll
definitely support it. I just wanted to point out that we're raising the
barriers for the "occasional newcomer" and commenters.
We do have a lot of stuff in the Wiki that's well worked out and mature
enough to get served statically, complementing the UserGuide for
example. But it would be good to still have a place for collecting
ideas, snippets, organizing things...where people can "go nuts" if they
have to. And that's what fits perfectly to a Wiki, in my opinion.
We want new people and their ideas and writings coming in, not having to
push them out ourselves...so we need to have low barriers for that.

What about having a two stage thing, with a Wiki for collecting ideas
'n' stuff, and then statically served pages, protected by a VCS as well?
A little bit like core tools vs. external ones? If we like a
contribution, we'll pull it in?

Finally, if we could find a Wiki, with something like the ApprovalQueue
we had before, on a server that's less vulnerable to DOS attacks...that
would be my favorite. Being robust against DOS is more important to me
than the spam filtering/preventing issue. I don't care about the Wiki
dialect so much, and I also think that the default rendering of
Bitbucket looks quite okay.