[Scons-dev] What to replace the wiki with?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 19:09:32 EST 2014

Bill,

On 12.12.2014 00:52, Bill Deegan wrote:
> I'm thinking a hg repo and some sort of ci to process it when new
> changes come in.
> Or use readthedocs.org <http://readthedocs.org> (It has integration
> with bitbucket for such already)
>
> That way users and do pull requests and also the webserver only has to
> handle serving static pages.
>
> Is it reasonable to expect that users who wanted to contribute to
> wiki-like content could handle mercurial?

it's probably not so much about hg (or any other tool, for that matter),
but about the workflow that's required for getting one's changes in. To
me it feels like we're moving away from a more "scratchpad"-like medium,
to static pages. That would be okay if we had several authors and
technical writers that could create lots of pages with content. But this
would mean that we provide all the information, and we are responsible
for keeping things alive.
If that's what we want, fine.
It more or less boils down to the question: Do we want a Wiki (static
pages) for us, or for our users?

Just some late night thoughts, to fuel the discussion...

Regards,