[Scons-dev] Re PR #171

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Aug 31 13:54:11 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> The whole ASCII string / Unicode codepoint sequence thing brings the
> Python 2/Python 3 thing to a head. If we want a codebase that runs under
> both Python 2 and Python 3 then we almost certainly have to use six to
> provide the indirection layer for things like strings (unless we write
> our own). Alternatively the Python 3 codebase can be separate (which is
> what Anatoly was advocating if I remember correctly) and then do careful
> cherry picks from the Python 2 codebase.

six.py is now included in the python3 branch.  At this point not everything
works (still a long way from it) but I see no showstopping issues that have
cropped up yet.  (By showstopping I mean something that would prevent
shipping a single codebase that works in 2.7 and 3.x.)

> There is also then process: I can probably spend an hour here an hour
> there fixing broke tests but should these individual sessions be
> separate pull requests?

Sure.  On the python3 branch.  If you have a bunch of related ones, I see
no reason those couldn't be reviewed and merged together.