[Scons-dev] Scons 2.3.2 regression, D tool...

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Sun Aug 10 02:43:21 EDT 2014

On Saturday, August 09, 2014 10:41:10 PM Dirk Bächle wrote:
> On 09.08.2014 22:02, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> > Well, the "messy" bit is information that nobody really cares about; so
> > why
> > keep it around?
>
> I may have read Russel's comment wrong, and understood it like "The
> result is messy, so we don't have a proper workflow and need to switch
> the VCS.". This would be wrong in my opinion..but this meaning probably
> wasn't intended anyway.
>
> About "information": I'm a fan of keeping history as it
> happens...including errors, and their immediate fixes. Today, I don't
> know what information I might need tomorrow, or in 2 weeks/months. The
> seemingly unusable commit (or even only its checkin comment) that I
> rebase/squash away today, might serve as a starting point for a fresh
> approach at a later time. Highly speculative, I know...but that's how I
> see it.

Well, the attached graphic is a zoomed-out-to-the-max screenshot of the
history of ONE file in our ClearCase repository.  There are more branches to
the right and bottom of the picture.  *Many* more branches.

The English phrase "Finding a needle in a haystack" comes to mind.

Given the reality of the low number of people contributing to scons as well as
the way hg and/or git handles versions, I can't see the scons changeset graph
growing to that level of insanity.  But I do believe that you can keep too
much history.  :-)

--
Mark A. Flacy