[Scons-dev] Scons 2.3.2 regression, D tool...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Aug 9 16:41:10 EDT 2014

On 09.08.2014 22:02, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> On Saturday, August 09, 2014 08:22:40 PM Dirk Bächle wrote:
>>> Our problem is that it seems that maintaining a long running
>>> synchronized clone of a default branch leads Mercurial to having
>>> problems on a final merge. Advice from a Mercurial expert was that
>>> actually the result was fine, just ugly. Gary felt it was an ugly too
>>> far and that we should not use that way of merging. Nothing wrong there
>>> per se. It just brings into stark relief that we do not have a
>>> reasonable workflow just now.
>> I still don't feel the logic behind this reasoning. For me, the fact
>> that the end result looks "messy" doesn't have anything to do with the
>> workflow itself.
> Well, the "messy" bit is information that nobody really cares about; so why
> keep it around?

I may have read Russel's comment wrong, and understood it like "The
result is messy, so we don't have a proper workflow and need to switch
the VCS.". This would be wrong in my opinion..but this meaning probably
wasn't intended anyway.

About "information": I'm a fan of keeping history as it
happens...including errors, and their immediate fixes. Today, I don't
know what information I might need tomorrow, or in 2 weeks/months. The
seemingly unusable commit (or even only its checkin comment) that I
rebase/squash away today, might serve as a starting point for a fresh
approach at a later time. Highly speculative, I know...but that's how I
see it.