[Scons-dev] SCons speedup and profiling results...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 02:44:35 EDT 2013

Hi Gary,

On 26.09.2013 02:08, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> [...]

> I think this is excellent work! Solid analysis. I know there's been

> some thought given to caching subst() before; it's trickier than one

> might think but in many cases it should work, and it definitely speeds

> things up. I'm also impressed by a 30% memory reduction -- interested

> to hear how that comes out.

it will definitely take some more time. Not only subst() is quite
tricky, but getting cyclic dependencies out of the way for
garbage-collecting Nodes means a lot of fiddling. But there should be
some light at the end of the tunnel soon....

By the way: Does anybody know of a use case for having more than one FS
during a build or interactive mode? I've wondered many times now, why on
earth we keep a reference to the current DefaultFS in each Node? After
all I don't see any place in the source code where I could initialize a
second one, or one that's different from the Default FS...

> Have you seen the speed and memory tests the buildbots used to run?

> Not sure what their status is these days but perhaps your tests could

> be integrated into them at some point.

Yes, I considered using them. But as far as I know, they rely on
everything that's being run to be a packaged archive and you always have
to write some sort of config file. That's what put me off a little bit,
and so I stuck to my own scripts/packages and developed them further...

Regards,