[Scons-dev] SCons speedup and profiling results...

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Sep 25 20:08:23 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi there,

> a few minutes ago I added a new page to our Wiki. It's called

> http://scons.org/wiki/**WhySconsIsNotSlow<http://scons.org/wiki/WhySconsIsNotSlow>

> and shows a few results of the speedup and profiling experiments that I

> did recently. As mentioned

> in the "Repositories" section, you can also download the full set of

> results and the little test framework that

> I used from the Bitbucket repos:

> http://www.bitbucket.org/**dirkbaechle/scons_testresults<http://www.bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_testresults>

> http://www.bitbucket.org/**dirkbaechle/scons_testsuite<http://www.bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_testsuite>

> So just dive in if you're interested, and let me hear what you think...

> By the way, I'm sorry for certain parts of the text being quite terse. The

> language could also be improved a little, I guess...but right now I'm

> lacking the time and patience for it (I just wanted this project off my

> desk ;) ). So if any native speakers out there should feel the itch to

> correct and extend my writings, just go ahead please. I'd highly appreciate

> it...and it's a Wiki after all.

I think this is excellent work! Solid analysis. I know there's been some
thought given to caching subst() before; it's trickier than one might think
but in many cases it should work, and it definitely speeds things up. I'm
also impressed by a 30% memory reduction -- interested to hear how that
comes out.

Have you seen the speed and memory tests the buildbots used to run? Not
sure what their status is these days but perhaps your tests could be
integrated into them at some point.